How to Fix the Error
To fix the error manually, it will be necessary to remove all of the files partially downloaded, and try again to update your Windows files.
1. On the Windows desktop, press Start, and when the menu opens up,
2. Press Run, and input the following command “services.msc"
3. In the Run box, type "services.msc", and press "Enter".
4. This will open the "Local Services" window.
5. In the Local Services window find the name “Automatic Updates" and right click.
6. On right click, scroll down and press “Stop". This will cause the Automatic Updates to pause to correct the situation. Do not close the Local Services window.
At this point you can go to the "Software Distribution" folder and delete its contents, or give the folder another name. It is advised that you just rename the folder,
7. To do this go to the Windows desktop and press “Start" then press “Run" when the menu opens.
8. Input the “cmd" command into Run, and the computer will take you to the DOS prompt.
9. At the DOS prompt type in this command “cd %windir%" (without the quotes), and press Enter.
10. You should now be in the Windows directory.
11. At the Windows directory, input “ren SoftwareDistribution SoftDisTemp" and hit "Enter". This will rename the Software Distribution folder to the new name of SoftDisTemp.
12. Type "Exit" and hit "Enter" to close the DOS window.
13. Now go to the "Local Services" window and right click "Automatic Updates" to restart it.
14. Try updating Windows files again.