Manually Configuring Outlook
If you run into issues using the automatic configuration, follow these steps to manually configure Outlook.
1. Follow steps 1-3 in the section above.
2. On the Auto Account Setup page, select the option for Manual setup and click Next.
3. On the Choose Service page select POP or IMAP and select Next.
4. In the POP and IMAP Account settings page, fill out the following fields (Figure 5):
- Name: Your name
- Email Address: Your email address
- Account Type: IMAP
- Incoming Mail server: imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing Mail server: smtp.gmail.com
- Username: Your username
- Password: Your password
5. Click on the More Settings button.
6. Click on the Outgoing Server tab and select “My outgoing server requires authentication". Leave the top radio button selected “Use same settings".
7. Click the Advanced tab.
8. Fill in the following fields (Figure 6):
- Incoming server: 993
- Use following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing server: 587
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: TLS
9. Click OK and complete the wizard by following the prompts.
You should now be able to send and receive your Gmail email from Outlook. Note that by setting up a connection like we did in this article you will retain mail in both Gmail and Outlook. If you delete a message in one place it will be deleted from the other. Thus, you can use Outlook if you’ve got your laptop or desktop handy, but you can still use Gmail while on the road.