What are the programs to use to detect Keylogger software?
Most antivirus and antimalware program have the detection signature to detect keylogger software, but to make sure you should scan the computer using another on-demand scanner to verify that your antivirus program did not miss a keylogger infection.
A-squared, Ad-Aware, CounterSpy, Malwarebytes Antimalware, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot-Search & Destroy and Windows Defender are some on-demand scanners and removers that have keylogger detection ability. For prevention, you can use KeyScrambler program to protect your login credentials and other private information for being sniffed or spied on while the computer is online or offline. Other software to detect and prevent keylogger software is by using anti-trojan protection e.g. TrojanHunter, The Cleaner and Trojan Remover.
To protect yourself and your data against known and unknown keyloggers, practice the following:
- Regularly change your password
- Use or create a strong password
- Use a virtual keyboard
- Password protect your passwords
Store your passwords in a removable device and make sure it is encrypted. If you are using Windows 7, take advantage of BitLocker to Go feature.
- If you have to use a password manager that integrates with your browser and email program, encrypt the passwords and create a master password.
- Do not open an e-mail attachment that you did not expect even if it's from your friends. (You'll never know if your friends' PC has been compromised!) Ensure that your antivirus program includes an e-mail scanner to scan the message and the attachment for malware.
A firewall program might not detect a keylogger, but it can help to prevent the keylogger to transmit information to the remote location. This is possible only if your firewall program is a two-way and rule-based firewall in which you configure the firewall to prompt you for any applications that require an Internet connection to transfer data from and to your PC.
Don’t become one of the 10 million of end-users that have malicious program with keylogging function. Ensure that your antivirus program is not offering basic protection, but advanced protection and detection to all types of security risks.