Starting Recovery Console from Windows XP Startup disk or CD-ROM
Okay…so you have fulfilled the pre-requisites. Read through on how to use Windows XP Recovery Console. I’m going to explain how Windows XP Recovery Console should be used considering that you have either Windows XP startup disk or Windows XP CD-ROM.
1. Get hold of either Windows XP startup disk or Windows XP CD-ROM. Insert it in the system and restart the system.
2. You will be prompted with the welcome screen that says “Welcome to Setup."
3. To go to the Recovery Console, press R.
(Ref Fig 1 - Welcome to Setup) Image Source : XP Professional Recovery
4. Select the installation you wish to use Recovery Console.
5. You will be prompted to enter the Administrator password. Type in if you have one else leave it blank and press <ENTER>.
6. Recovery Console command prompt will now open up and you can take full control of it.
7. Once you are over with diagnose or repair of your system, type EXIT at command prompt.
NOTE: To know the commands and how they are used, type HELP at the command prompt. If you require more information about any specific command,
type HELP <command name> and then press <Enter>
(Ref Fig 2 - Recovery Console - Help commands)
Source : Windows Geek