The Samsung Finesse SCH-r810 and the Nokia Surge 6790 are mid-range smartphones. Both the models are packed with useful features.
Samsung Finesse specifications:
- Dimensions: 4.56 x 2.29 x 0.49 in.
- Weight: 3.63 oz.
- Display: 3.2 in; 240 x 400 pixels; up to 262,144 colors; TFT display.
- Memory: Up to 150 MB internal memory; MicroSD memory card up to 16 GB.
- OS: Samsung's own operating system.
- Camera: 2.0 megapixel.
- GPS: Available.
- Battery: Li-Ion battery; 4.5 hrs talktime; 300 hrs standby time.
Nokia 6790 specifications:
- Dimensions: 3.84 x 2.28 x 0.61 in.
- Weight: 4.38 oz.
- Display: 2.4 in; 240 x 320 pixels; up to 16 million colors; Active Matrix TFT display.
- Memory: Up to 120 MB internal memory; MicroSD memory card up to 8 GB.
- OS: Symbian OS version 9.3.
- Camera: 2.0 megapixel.
- GPS: Integrated A-GPS.
- Battery: BP-4L 1500 mAH Li-Polymer battery. Talktime 4 hrs 42 min; standby time up to 400 hrs.
The Samsung Finesse scores over the Nokia 6790 in design. It is an attractive phone with rounded corners and a mirror finish on the front. Three keys, talk, back and end, can be found below the large 3.2 inch display. The power/screen lock key is on the top. The headset jack is next to this key. The handset features a touch-screen QWERTY keyboard. The charger jack and the volume keys can be found on the left side of the handset. The camera button, voice dialer key, and the microSD card slot are on the right.
The Nokia 6790 is a side slider which is designed to attract the youth. The sliding mechanism works very well. The smartphone is compact, but the design is definitely not perfect. The phone makes a peculiar noise when you press the talk or end key with a little pressure. The 2.4 inch display is smaller than that of the Samsung Finesse. The Nokia 6790 has an accelerometer, which is missing in the Samsung Finesse.
The talk button, end button and four way directional buttons with a select button in the middle can be found below the display. The power connector, the speaker and the headset jack are found at the top of the phone. You can find the microUSB port on the left side of the phone. The volume control and the camera key can be found on the right. The physical QWERTY keyboard works well. In fact the QWERTY keyboard of the Nokia 6790 is better than that of the Samsung Finesse from a typing experience point of view. The microSD slot is behind the battery cover. The camera is on the back of the phone.
- The handset does not support Wi-Fi.
- Browser is very poor.
- Call alert is not uniform. It starts low and then increases in audibility.
- One major drawback of the Nokia 6790 is that you cannot dial numbers without opening the keyboard.
- The keys below the display should be pressed with considerable effort for them to work.
The Samsung Finesse comes with basic features like SMS, MMS, speaker phone, vibrate mode, clock, alarm, calendar, notepad, calculator, stop watch, voice dialing, PC sync, voice recorder and currency converter. It comes with a full HTML browser, but does not provide a great browsing experience. Its customizable widgets enable you to access applications quickly. You can store 500 contacts on the phone book. Each contact can contain five phone numbers and an email address. You can assign photos and ringtones for your contacts. You can also place them in groups of your choice. The phone comes with GPS which is easy to use. The handset is Bluetooth enabled. The handset's 2.0 megapixel camera enables you to capture magic moments with your friends and family members. The phone also has a video recorder. Internal memory of 150 MB makes it possible for you to store a considerable amount of data. The handset has a built-in music player.
The Nokia 6790 appears to have an edge over the Samsung Finesse when it comes to features. It runs the S60 (Symbian) platform. This quad-band handset offers regular features like SMS, MMS, speaker phone, call conferencing, speed dialing and voice commands. You can also make video calls. The handset is Bluetooth compatible. Its QuickOffice suite enables you to work with Office documents. It supports email accounts like Gmail, Yahoo and Windows mail. The handset is preloaded with JuiceCaster, which makes it possible for you to work on various social networking websites like Twitter and Facebook. This feature is sure to attract the youth. The handset's 2 megapixel camera enables you to capture images and videos. You can also enjoy music with FM radio support and a built-in music player. The handset's HTML web browser (with Flash Lite support) gives you an amazing browsing experience.
The call quality is good. The GPS works amazingly well. The music quality is good. The browser is not up to the mark. The Nokia 6790 scores over the Samsung Finesse in this respect. The touch screen is responsive and works well. The camera works well. Images captured while testing were impressive, but the video quality is not great. The speaker phone works well. The talktime of 4 hrs 30 min and stand by time of 300 hrs is adequate for a phone like the Samsung Finesse.
When it comes to call quality (audibility), the Samsung Finesse definitely beats the Nokia 6790 hands down. Same with speaker phone sound quality. However, when it comes to browsing the Internet, the Nokia 6790 scores over the Samsung Finesse. The talktime of 4 hrs 42 min and standby time of 400 hrs is better than that of the Samsung Finesse.
The Samsung Finesse and the Nokia 6790 offer useful features. If you intend to use your phone for making and receiving calls and for occasional browsing, it is advisable to go for the Samsung Finesse. If you are planning to use your phone to browse the Internet and to stay in touch with your friends and associates through social networks, it is a good idea to go for the Nokia 6790.
- Image courtesy: http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokiasurge/specifications#features-1; Nokia 6790; Author: Unknown.
- Samsung Finesse: http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-R810ZKASTT-specs.
- Nokia 6790: http://www.nokiausa.com/find-products/phones/nokiasurge/specifications#features-1
- Image courtesy: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Samsungfinesse.jpg; Samsung Finesse; Author: Drdak.