Do you have personal documents on your site that you don’t want anyone except yourself to access? Or do you have an online photo album that
you only want your friends and family to see? It's easy to learn how to add password protection to a web page. If you are worried about how you can protect your documents on the web, there are a couple of methods in this article that will let you protect your web pages so that only your friends or family members with a password can access them.
There are several services that allow you to add password protection to web pages. These services don’t require you to write code or perform complicated work. All you’ve got to do is register for the service once and add the code you are provided to your web page. After adding the code on your website, whenever someone comes to your page, he or she will be prompted to enter a password. If he enters the right password, he will be able to see the wanted page; and if he enters the wrong password he will be sent to some other page.
Image Credit: sxc.hu, KillR-B
Adding Password Protection to a Webpage
Here are two services I have researched for you. They are both very similar:
PoppyDog Password Protector is a free password protection service. When you add its code to your site, it will look similar to the page in the screenshot below:
To use the PoppyDog Password service to add password protection to web pages, here are all the steps you need:
- Go to the PoppyDog website.
- Open the registration form and fill in your details.
- Modify the settings that best suit your needs.
- Go to the member’s area and click on “Password Protector."
- Edit your username, password, and the address of up to 20 pages. You can protect more of your website pages, but for more than 20 you have to pay.
- You will be shown a code snippet; copy and add it to the source code of the web pages you want to protect.
- You’re done. Your web pages are now password-protected.
The password protection from BraveNet is similar to the one from PoppyDog. Here is how your password-protected pages will look:
This is all you need to do to use BraveNet’s Password Protect to protect your website:
- Go to BraveNet’s website and sign up for the Password Protect service. This will only take a couple of minutes.
- Once the sign up is complete, you can modify a few settings that will make the Password Protect service fit your website better.
- Enter username, password, and address of the pages you want to protect.
- Once you have changed the settings and entered URLs of the pages you want protected, you will be given a piece of code. Copy the code and paste it onto the homepage of the website you want to protect.
- That's it. You are finished!
There are also available other, more complicated methods of protecting a web page. But using one of the above-mentioned services is far easier, quicker, and–more importantly–they don't require programming or web-development skills whatsoever.
Website screenshots by the writer.