- slide 1 of 2
1. Log in to your Gmail account.
2. Click the "Settings" link at the top-right of the Gmail webpage.
3. Click the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" link on the Settings page.
4. Enable IMAP access to your Gmail account by clicking "Enable IMAP" next to "IMAP Access" and then clicking the "Save Changes" button.
- IMAP is a protocol that allows your email client to interface with your Gmail account. All mail is left on the Gmail server and downloaded as needed, and any changes you make to your account in Outlook will be reflected in the Gmail web interface.
5. You could enable POP access to your Gmail account instead. When using POP, your email client downloads all your email from your Gmail account and keeps its own native copy. Changes made in Outlook won't reflect in the Gmail web interface or other email clients.
- Click "Enable POP for All Mail" and click "Save Changes" to enable POP for all the email in your Gmail account. If you have a lot of email, it will take a long time for Outlook to download it all.
- Click "Enable POP for Mail that Arrives from Now On" to only enable POP for future emails you receive. Outlook won't download every email in your Gmail account, only ones that arrive in the future.
- slide 2 of 2
Configuring Microsoft Outlook
1. Open Microsoft Outlook.
2. Click "Add Account."
3. Click "Manually Configure Server Settings or Additional Server Types" and click "Next."
4. Click "Internet E-mail" and click "Next."
6. Type your full Gmail email address into the "E-mail Address" box.
7. Set up an IMAP account by clicking the "Account Type" box and clicking "IMAP." Type "imap.gmail.com" into the "Incoming Mail Server" box.
8. Set up a POP account by clicking the "Account Type" box and clicking "POP." Type "pop.gmail.com" into the "Incoming Mail Server" box.
9. Type "smtp.gmail.com" into the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" box.
10. Type your Gmail email address into the "User Name" box. If you have a personal Gmail account, type your account name followed by "@gmail.com." If you have a Google Apps account, type your full email address including your Google Apps domain.
11. Type your Gmail password into the "Password" and "Re-Type Password" boxes.
12. Click the "More Settings" button at the lower-right corner of the account setup window.
13. Click the "Advanced" tab in the settings window.
15. Configure a POP account by typing "995" into the "Incoming Server (POP)" box, clicking the "Use the Following Type of Encrypted Connection" box beneath it and clicking "SSL."
16. Configure the outgoing mail server by typing "587" into the "Outgoing Server (SMTP) box, clicking the "Use the Following Type of Encrypted Connection" box beneath it and clicking "TLS."
17. Click the "Outgoing Server" tab.
18. Enable "My Outgoing Server (SMTP) Requires Authentication" by clicking it if it isn't enabled.
19. Click "OK."
20. Test your account settings by clicking "Next." Click "Close" and "Finish" if they work properly.