Meet the Guide Editor
Biodiversity Contributors

About Biodiversity In Our World

Biodiversity Among Fungi (by Sasata - CC-A-SA 3.0)Biodiversity can refer to genetic diversity within a species, species diversity within an ecosystem, ecosystem diversity within a region, or all three of them taken together. In each case, it's a combination measure of the total number of genes, species, or ecosystems (called "richness") and their abundances relative to each other.

For example, an ecosystem where one species comprises 99% of the total number of individuals isn't very diverse, even if there are hundreds of other species in the other 1%. Likewise, high genetic diversity within a species is crucial to how well it can adapt to changing environmental conditions - and its survival in the long term.

Biodiversity has become an increasingly important part of policy planning for issues in resource and environmental conservation. The loss of biodiversity has an impact in other areas, like medicine and bioinformatics. Learn more about all aspects of biodiversity with the articles below.

Latest Articles on Biodiversity
Quiz - Test Your Biodiversity Knowledge

Biodiversity is important to all life on earth and it is declining at an alarming rate. Test your biodiversity knowledge and learn how biodiversity impacts you....

Biodiversity of California: Nature and its Preservation

California is not only one of the most biologically diverse states in the nation, it’s one of the most diverse areas in the world. California is home to a global biodiversity...

The Netherlands Experiment with Palm Oil

According to researchers at Wageningen University in the Netherlands, palm oil (along with the sugar cane) can be regarded as among the most sustainable of current biofuel crops...

Biodiversity in the States: Arkansas

The state of Arkansas is beaming with biodiversity. Arkansas is home to a wide variety of environments and habitats, ranging from grassy blackland prairie in the southwest, to the muddy...

Most Popular Articles on Biodiversity
More About Biodiversity
Is Medical Science Hindered by Loss of Biodiversity?

Biodiversity is a crucial part of life on Earth, but non-sustainable use of resources is killing off species at an alarming rate. Are we hindering medical science at the same time?...

Biodiversity 101

Everything you need to know about Biodiversity in one location.What it is, why it is important, threats and more....