When you're buying a camera to give as a gift, some of the considerations are the same as if you're buying if for yourself–you want to get the best, most suitable equipment for the best price, after all. Some of the things you'll want to look for, then, are the same no matter who you're buying for, and you'll find information about those factors in the "General Tips" section below.
But it's pretty likely that the person you're buying for won't have the same needs in a digital camera as you do. Maybe, for example, you're a studio photographer, and they're into getting outside and shooting in places you wouldn't want to take a high-end DSLR. Or maybe you don't take pictures at all, but your kids are showing an interest and you want to support them. Either way, if you have some idea of what the person you're buying is going to photograph, you'll be better armed to get them the perfect gift camera, and many of the articles below are aimed at helping you get from knowing what the person wants to getting the right camera for their purposes.
General Tips for Buying a Digital Camera
There are many different cameras out there, at different price levels, with varying sets of features, but there are certain things that are the same across all kinds of digital cameras. These articles will show you what to look for in a camera, no matter who you're buying for, and suggest some of the possible options out there. If you're looking to buy a camera for a specific age group, skill level, or area of interest, there are more specific tips below.
- What are Megapixels & How Many Do I Need in a Digital Camera?
- A Digital Camera Buying Guide
- 10 Best Digital Cameras to Give as Gifts
- Digital Cameras That Won't Break the Bank
- Top 10 Cameras for Less Than $200
- Best Cheap Digital Camera Keychains
Digital Cameras by Type
There is a big difference–both in price and in what it's best at–between a compact point-and-shoot camera and a digital SLR. Throw in other camera types like rangefinder and camera phones, and the picture gets even more complicated. But if you know what the skill level the recipient of your gift is at, or what kind of photography they're interested in, a lot of the guesswork goes away.
- Compact Digital Camera Best Buys
- Top Compact Digital Cameras
- The Best Point-and-Shoot Digital Cameras
- Finding the Best Rangefinder Digital Camera
- Top 5 Digital SLRs for Beginners
- What to Look for When Buying a Digital SLR Camera
- The Four Thirds Compromise: Is it Worth it?
- Smartphones for Photographers
For Specific Age Groups
If you're looking to buy a camera for a young child, you'll probably have different needs than if you're looking to get something for a teenager or an elderly person. Fortunately, we can help you with all of those. Find out what makes a camera good for a particular age group and see what some of our writers recommend.
- What to Look for When Buying Cameras for Kids
- Top 5 Kids Cameras
- Four Popular Digital Cameras for Children
- What is a Good Camera for a Teenager?
- Top Digital Cameras to Get Your Teenager
- The Best Digital Cameras for the Elderly
For the Technology Enthusiast
Someone who is fascinated by the latest innovations may want more than just an ordinary camera. Fortunately, digital cameras these days have all sorts of possible options, so if you know the person you're buying for loves HD video, you can get a camera that takes HD video as well as still images, or if they're into 3D, you can find cameras that make 3D images.
- Touchscreen Digital Camera Buying Guide
- 3D Cameras and Camcorders
- The Best Digital Cameras for Low Light Photography
- The Best Digital SLR Cameras to Record HD Video
- Which Digital Camera has the Best Video Features?
- Digital Cameras that Produce the Best Slow Motion Video
- The Best Cameras with Geotagging Features
For the Outdoor Enthusiast
Some cameras are better than others for taking out into the world. These guides cover the most important considerations and the best cameras for someone who likes to get outside, whether it's backpacking in the woods, taking in the scenery at the seaside, ice fishing, or taking in the local sports.
- Rugged Digital Cameras for Active Lifestyles
- The Best Cameras for Backpacking
- Best Ultra-Compact Cameras for Outdoor Enthusiasts
- Digital Camera Guide for Wildlife Photography
- Top 5 Waterproof Digital Cameras
- The Best Ice Fishing Camera
- The Top 5 Panoramic Cameras
- The Best Digital SLR Camera for Action Shots