About Yahoo Mail Plus
Yahoo Mail Plus offers the same convenience of the traditional (and free) Yahoo Mail service with some important extras.
- The annoying banner ads in the free version are relegated to text based advertisements in the "Plus" version.
- The number of filters users can have is doubled from 100 in the free version to 200 in the "Plus" version.
- Free Yahoo! Mail accounts will be closed if users do not access them on a semi-regular basis. With the "Plus" version of Yahoo Mail, the account never expires (unless it goes unpaid).
- Yahoo Mail Plus comes with access to customer support (do people seriously need technical support for Yahoo Mail?).
- Users of the "Plus" version of Yahoo Mail can forward their email messages to other email accounts.
- Email aliases that disguise real Yahoo Mail Plus accounts are available. This anti-spam feature makes it easy when signing up for websites and other services that you don't trust with your real email address.
- Users can move POP mail from Yahoo Mail Plus into Microsoft Outlook.
You may wonder why someone would pay $20 for a year of Yahoo Mail Plus when they can get all these features and more from Google's Gmail service, but that is not what we are discussing here.
Here, you will learn how to move your emails from Yahoo Mail Plus into Microsoft Outlook.
Setting up Outlook
To get POP mail from Yahoo Mail Plus into Microsoft Outlook, a new account needs to be created. To do this in Outlook 2010, click "File" on the main ribbon and then click the "Add Account" button.
On the "Add New Account" window, click the "Manually configure server settings or additional server types" radio button.
Click the "Next" button and then choose "Internet E-mail" from the options on the "Choose Service" screen.
Click the "Next" button and then fill out the "Internet E-mail Settings" window. Enter your name, email address and password in the appropriate fields and then type in the following into the "Incoming mail server" field: "plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com." Next, enter "plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com" in the "Outgoing mail server" field.
Click on the "More Settings" button at the bottom right of the screen and then click the "Advanced" tab. Next:
- Check the "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" box.
- Type "465" in the "Outgoing server (SMTP) field.
- Check the "Remove from server when deleted from 'Deleted Items' option.
Click the "Outgoing Server" tab on the same window. Here, check the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Click the "Log on using" radio button and then enter your email address and password in the next two fields.
Next, click the "OK" button and then click the "Next" button on the "Internet E-mail settings" window.
Outlook will now test the settings and return you to the main Outlook screen. To move your email from Yahoo Mail Plus to Outlook, click the "Send/Receive All Folders" button on the "Send / Receive" toolbar.
Screenshots provided by writer