Nothing But The Facts About the Constellation Capricorn
written by: johnsinit•edited by: RC Davison•updated: 10/17/2014
Capriconus, often referred to as Capricorn, is the second faintest Zodiac constellation. Capricorn itself is a mythological creature, with a head of a goat and tail of fish. Below are some interesting facts about the constellation - and the Zodiac sign.
slide 1 of 4
1. Image of: A goat-fish, a mythical creature that has a head of a goat and a tail of a fish.
2. Right ascension: 20H to 21H 52m
3. Declination: -28 to -9 degrees
4. Quadrant: SQ4
5. Latitudes visible at: Between +62 degrees and -90 degrees
6. Time best visible: At 21:00 in September
7. Area of sky covered: 414 square degrees
8. Rank in constellation size: 40th
9. Notable and Named Stars: Alpha-1 Capricorni, Alpha-2 Capricorni, Beta Capricorni (Dabih), Gamma Capricorni (Nashira), Delta Capricorni (Scheddi), Epsilon Capri (Castra), Zeta Capricorni (Marakk), Eta Capricorni (Armus), Theta Capricorni (Dorsum), Nu Capricorni (Alshat), Pi Capricorni (Okul), Ro Capricorni (Bos), Psi Capricorni (Pazan), Omega Capricorni (Baten Algiedi)
10. Other objects in the constellation: M30 (NGC 7099)
11. Brightest star: Delta Capricorni (Deneb Algiedi, Scheddi, with an apparent magnitude of 2.87)
12. Nearest star: HD 192310, about 28.78 light-years away
13: Meteor showers: Capricorniden-Sagittariids, Alpha Capricornids, Chi Capricornids, Siga Capricornids, Tau Capricornids
14. Mythology: In Greek mythology, the Capricorni is a symbol for the goat Amalthea, which breast-fed Zeus in his infant years. As a sign of acknowledgement, Zeus has put her into the sky. It is also being associated with Pan – the Greek God of forests and shepherds.
15. Historical significance: Long ago, In Shumer, Goat-Fish was associated with nki – a god of crafts, water. Later, in Babylon Enki was renamed to Ea, and also became the god ofintelligence and creation.
16. Symbolic significance: There are also stars named by ancient Chinese astronomers – for instance, Psi Capricorni is called Yue (battle axe)
17. Position in the Zodiac: Tenth.
18. Traits associated with Capricorn in astrology: ambition, hard-work, responsibility, reliability, caution.
slide 2 of 4
This photo of the constellation Capricornus shows, enlarged in their true color, the main "naked eye" stars that make up the shape of the constellation.