Avoid the following toys, considered the most dangerous by the Consumer Product Safety Commission:
Balloons are small objects and therefore present a choking hazard. Balloons are more difficult to remove from an airway than most other objects and as a result they are one of the most serious hazards for children under age three.
Most small objects, when ingested, are likely to pass harmlessly through the digestive tract, but small magnets can stick to each other and trap part of the intestine between them. The resulting loss of circulation is very serious and can even result in death.
Battery Chargers and Adapters
Care should be taken with these devices because they can overheat, presenting a danger of fire and burns. They should not be used for over eight hours at time.
Toys with Small Balls or Removable Parts
Many games and toys for older children include marbles, small balls, or small removable parts which present choking hazards to younger children in the household. Be careful about choosing toys and games for older children with younger siblings.
Scooters and other riding toys
Riding toys are one of the largest causes of toy-related injuries. Falls can result in broken bones and head injuries, and since these toys are often used in the street, kids are at risk of being hit by cars. These toys should be used only under close supervision and with safety equipment such as helmets.