Faux Painting Business
One of the most exciting and satisfying work from home arts and crafts jobs is faux-painting or decorative painting This business entails painting artistic murals or their resemblance on walls, furniture, and ceilings. Possible niche designs include marbleizing with glaze, “trompe l'oeil" or trick of the eye, and rag painting.
While the business holds scope for a lucrative income, generating business depends on impressing potential clients and gaining their trust. The home based faux painter, therefore, needs to:
- Create a portfolio to entice clients
- Set competitive rates
- Build relationships with reliable suppliers.
Once the entrepreneur establishes a reputation, then word of mouth advertising by satisfied clients usually suffice for steady work.
While the business requires no formal entry-level qualifications, mastering the different decorative mediums used in faux painting takes time and effort. The faux painting entrepreneur ideally needs to work as an apprentice for some time before venturing out independently.
The basic requirements to start this business include:
- Good painting skills and a creative flair
- Strong presentation with a good portfolio
- Awareness and source for proper paints and tools
- Skills to master Venetian plaster and other technologies that play a vital role in the work process
Faux painting is creative art based on perception, what appeals to the painter need not necessarily appeal to the client. It is essential to decide on a basic design or scope with the client before starting work.