Filling Out the Basics
The first thing you need to do is select a category for your page. You can pick from the following choices.
1. Local Business or Place – If your business primarily serves a local area, this is generally the best option to choose. This category is the most distinct of the five options and its setup fields are a bit different, as shown in the screenshot to the right.
If you pick this option, you'll be asked for a phone number for the business and then Google+ will attempt to locate it on a map using that phone number. If your business cannot be located, you have the option of adding it to Google at this time.
Once your business is located on the map, you'll be presented with a couple of additional fields – see the second screenshot to the right. (Note: I entered some info for the Reno Gazette-Journal here just to illustrate the creation process for a local business page, but since that's not my company, I did not actually create the page!)
2. Product or Brand – Choose this option if you want to create a page for a specific product line, service or brand associated with your business.
3. Company, Institution or Organization – If you want to set up a general page for your company or organization, this is probably the best category to pick.
4. Arts, Entertainment or Sports – Do you want to use Google+ to promote your book, band, sports team, art work or video game? Most likely, your page will fit best in this category.
5. Other – Finally, we have the good ole general-purpose Other category, just in case the page you want to create doesn't seem to fit anywhere else.