Various Meteorologist Job Options
Standing in front of the camera and explaining the weather report on a map behind you is not the only career that you will have as Meteorologist. Meteorologists are employed in various fields for various reasons. If you are wondering where else meteorologists are employed except on the evening news, here is a list of domains that employ meteorologists and also offer a huge pay check.
1) On Ships: The weather at seas is as predictable as the roll of the dice. Ships and boats need to know about the weather at seas, at least a day or two in advance, for the safety of the crew and the people and the contents that it carries. Every ship has at least one person who specializes in meteorology. A meteorologist on a ship is given high importance, because it is only on his confirmation that it will be decided if the ship (or boat) sets sail or not. A job with such big responsibility is paid very well.
2) Sports: Rain can play spoil sport to all outdoor games. Football, baseball, soccer, and cricket matches will have the pitches and grounds prepared for a big game well in advance. On a big night, the amount of money involved in each game is enormous, money in the form of advertisements, spectators, media, etc. A good prediction by the team's meteorologist can save that money from being wasted, can save the pitch and the ground from being spoilt, and also can change the very outcome of a game by changing the game strategy.
Sports like Formula 1 (F1) involve complicated strategies and the game is so advanced that the outcome of a race doesn't depend only on the engineer. The meteorologist present in the team will provide valuable inputs on whether it will be hot or windy or rainy, based on which, the tire combinations and the car settings are changed appropriately. This plays a major role in gaining a huge lead over other competitors.
Meteorologists that get a job in a reputed sports team can look forward to big paychecks if they are able to give valuable input.
Image Credit: @gletham GIS, Social, Mobile Tech Images, Flickr
3) Defense: Air force, Navy, and other branches of the Military plan their attacks based on the weather at a given place. It is the job of the meteorologist to predict the weather at a particular place using various tools like RADAR, computers, and satellite imageries. A good weather prediction will lead to a good strategy, eventually leading to victory in case of a war.
4) Environmentalists: With the rise in global warming and other related dangers, people who excel at meteorology are high in demand. They are hired to research the environmental changes that are taking place so that appropriate measures can be carried out to prevent vast disasters that might happen in the future.
5) Movie Sets: When a movie or a TV show is being shot, the time taken to act a scene is much less than the time taken to plan and prepare sets for shooting. Lots of money is poured into installing these sets and valuable inputs from the meteorologist on the set can prevent loss of money and time.