Below is a sample resignation letter to tailor to your particular field and situation. Notice that only positive things are emphasized as we leave the door open for future business contacts.
- Use your own stationery, if you use the company's letterhead it looks like you are wasting company time and supplies.
- Be professional in your approach.
- Be grateful even if you don't feel it at the time.
- Be gracious and only emphasize the positive aspects of the company and coworkers.
Header must have: Your name, address, current position, e-mail address and contact number
(Mr/Ms. Person's name )
- Space -
- Space -
I started working for Willy Coyote Enterprises (insert real name here) as (insert capacity here) on (insert starting date here). Since then I have earned several promotions that I find to be as invaluable in my professional development as my current position. Each of those promotions taught me and reinforced the following skills (name some important ones here). Those skills made me a successful team member and allowed me to become a more versatile and confident employee.
This confidence enabled me to find the time and energies to spend the last two years enrolled in night courses to earn an advanced degree. Since my graduation, I have received employment offers in (name the field) and know that I have to follow that path to continue my professional development.
As I look forward to embarking in this new field as (name new capacity), I am forced to resign from my current position on (insert date you are leaving), I intend to make the transition as smooth as possible by offering to train my replacement in the next few weeks.
I am filled with gratitude that WCE gave me the opportunity to develop and use my skills in (name the positions you have served in). While it is well known that I have come to think of the 12 employees I currently supervise as members of my extended family, I am also keenly aware of their value to the company and would like to take this opportunity to recommend (name employee) as a replacement for my position. (Name employee) has done an outstanding job of keeping operations running smoothly during my absences on behalf of the company. I am confident that he/she would do an outstanding job on a full time basis.
Please accept this letter of resignation and let me know how else I can make this transition work best for you and our team members. I look forward to continuing our association with you after I am settled in my new position.
- sign your name -
(Print your name)
- Start positively - Other people may want to say "I quit" or "This is my letter of resignation" in the first sentence, but if you want them to keep reading and cementing a positive image, you want to keep the initial shock to a minimum. Weave the resignation into the most positive things you can say about the company while highlighting your appreciation for what you have learned while working there.
- Only recommend another employee to fill in your position if you know that A) The employee is well suited for the job, B) the company likes promoting from within and C) Your boss respects your judgment.
Even if you are all great friends who thrive in a casual atmosphere, this letter needs to be professionally written and the content must be positive. Keep in mind that the players in the company will change over time and if you have to come back to work or network with this company again, a total stranger will pull your file and only know you through what you wrote and what has been written about you.