Younger Shift Workers
It seems that younger adults are invincible. Men and women in power plants, police officers and fire fighters are just some of the incredibly strong, fast and capable people who can function well any time of day or night. We need these individuals to keep society safe and productive around the clock and to many of us, they are worth every penny.
Single men and women encounter some of the same pros and cons as their married counterparts, when it comes having a personal life outside of work. Shift work can be divided into three 8-hour shifts or two 12-hour shifts. The most popular in power plants is the 12-hour shift 4 days in a row with either 3 or 4 days off afterward, depending on whether they just finished day or night shifts. Fire fighters live at the station house during their assigned days, and during emergencies, just like in power plants, there is no such thing as a day off and the shifts can be longer than 12 hours.
Shift workers in power plants may not leave until their replacement shows up. In many plants, out of courtesy to one another, they start the shift 30 minutes early to give the person they are relieving time to hand over the controls and a chance to get out of plant on time. Occasionally, the relief person gets sick or has an emergency and the worker that has already put in 12 hours may have to continue to work until someone on their day off agrees to come in and relieve him or her. Overtime pay starts at time and a half, moves on to double-time and there is even triple-time.
Pros for a single individual:
- Excellent wages that allow for purchases at an early age.
- 4 days off to combine with weekends and holidays.
- Working at a job they like and that provides growth.
- Greater freedom in both time and finances.
- Avoiding traffic congestion on most shifts.
- Ability to run errands or do pleasure activities when most people are working.
Cons for a single individual:
- Challenging to maintain relationships with friends who work 9 to 5 schedules.
- Sleep disorders.
- Loneliness and boredom.
- Physically demanding work causes health problems as they get older.
- Difficult to date and mingle with romantic interests who have different schedules.
- Feeling trapped in the environment.
- Social life tends to be limited to co-workers.