Using a Line for a Text Path
To begin we will create a line using the pencil too and flow text using the shape as a text path. You can also use the pen tool for this.
1. In Inkscape, grab the pencil tool from the tool area and draw a line on the canvas. For this example, any random line will do.
2. Next, grab the text tool from the tool box and draw a text area. Enter some text in the text box.
3. Select the rectangle and the text box at the same time. You can do this by grabbing the selection tool from the tool panel and then dragging a box around the line and the text box. Choose a font that suits your situation. If necessary, you can import a new font into Inkscape.
4. On the main menu bar, click "Text" and then choose "Put on Path."
5. If you want, you can put the text under the line. Begin by undoing the previous "Text to Path" operation.
6. Select the line. Click "Path" on the menu bar and then choose "Object to Path."
7. With the line selected, click "Path" on the menu bar and then choose "Reverse."
8. Select the text box and the circle and then click "Text" and then "Put on Path."