In this illustration of how to create a pyramid in Illustrator CS4, we will be opening the Illustrator toolbox and using the bevel tool and 3D extrusion tool. The first step is to prepare the bevel tool by adding a custom path to bevels.ai.
1. Open the bevels.ai file. Using Windows Explorer, browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS4\Support Files\Required\Resources\en_US.
2. Double click the bevels.ai file in the right pane. The file should open in Illustrator.
3. Create a one-inch line on the bevels.ai canvass. Using the pen tool, hold the shift key down while drawing a 1" horizontal line. Next, select the line and rotate it -45°.
4. Add the line to the Symbols palette. With the line selected, click the new symbol button on the Symbols palette.
In the "Symbol Options" dialog, name the symbol "Diagonal Line", set "Type" to "Graphic" and then click the "OK" button.
Your new symbol is visible in the Symbols palette.
5. Save the file. Click "File" and then "Save" or press <Control><S> to save the bevels.ai file.
6. Exit and then restart Illustrator.