- slide 1 of 1
Customizing a Microsoft Word resume template is one of the quickest ways for you to build a resume that suits your objective and stands out once it’s filled with your education, personal information, work history, and all your awards/accomplishments. With this free template, it’s easy to build a successful resume recent college graduate because you will have the blueprint all laid out for you with what is standard for many different entry-level career paths. This Microsoft Word tutorial gives you the tools you need to get this task finished.
Microsoft Office Online makes it easy for you by breaking the options down into categories which makes your work at job seeking so much easier. Under Entry-Level you can find your standard chronological, recent college graduate, and other basic types. Professions has specifics to a career track such as a sales manager or social worker. Just to give you an idea about the other two major categories: Career Moves has samples for company transfers and situations like moving from the military to the civilian world while Academic has the models to work with for a teacher or professor on any level. It’s worth it to take a gander at all of these if you want to incorporate other ideas into your fledgling resume.
If you’re unfamiliar with the usefulness of online templates, the gist is that the design, layout, and the areas to type in personal text is already done for you so that all you have to do is insert the appropriate information and tweak fonts, colors, and the like to customize the template until you have it exactly the way you want it to look. In this instance, you’ll find boiler-plate headings and the space and format for work and education history all right there for you already. Moreover, the good thing about using Microsoft Word for this task lies in the fact that it’s an easy program to utilize and many of the procedures used in Word are already familiar to many. Just follow these simple instructions:
1) Start by accessing the resume for this purpose offered at Microsoft Office Online.
2) I linked you directly to this specific example, but remember there are other options available if you’d like to look for something else or even for ideas about how you might want to tweak this one.
3) Click on the title of the template (it will then appear on its own for a closer inspection), then click “Download” after which you simply agree to their user license agreement to receive the file. (You might have to install an Active X plug in for Internet Explorer if you don’t already have it.)
4) Open your now downloaded template in Word and follow the simple instructions to enter your specifics in the right category. It’s just a matter of typing over their text with your own information.
5) Manipulate the design and layout to suit the extent of information which needs to fit in a category.
6) Proof the document and print it. It’s always good to have a few resumes in different styles so utilize this collection of samples with that in mind.