Make a Pattern!
I thought it would be fun to take a little intermission from our photo editing and show another neat tool in PaintShop Pro that lets you quickly create unique patterns and designs using a digital photo as your basis. So, all you photo editing purists may want to skip to the next slide, but I hope you digital scrapbookers and desktop publishers will stick around.
Have you ever wanted to create a new pattern or background for a project, but weren’t sure where to begin? There are several nice tools in PaintShop Pro that can help, and one of them is the Pattern Reflection Effect. Just pick any digital photo – or any other image, for that matter – with colors that you like and follow these steps. I’m still using the same original photo here, so if you downloaded that, you can follow along.
1. From the Effects menu, select Reflection Effects and then Pattern.
2. When the Pattern window pops up, it’s a good idea to check the box next to Preview on Image so you can get a larger view of your pattern as you’re designing it.
3. Experiment with all the different settings until you find a design you like. The exact settings I used for the image above are shown in the screenshot to the right.
4. When you do find a pattern you like, be sure to save it as a new preset just in case you want to apply the same settings to another photo.
5. When done, click OK to apply the changes to your image.
6. Be sure to save your resulting image under a new file name so you don’t lose your original photo.
Note: You can save several presets before clicking OK and applying the final one. That way, you can create a bunch of different patterns from a single image and apply them one by one.