Ten Tips to Find a Perfect Apartment: One through Five
Finding the perfect apartment isn’t achieved by just stopping by one rental complex, choosing a vacant one and moving in. There’s a lot more to it than that. To make the right decision follow these top ten tips on apartment shopping:
1. Price – Along with that list you made on why you’re moving, you should include what you can afford as monthly rent. Most rental complexes won’t cover your utilities either so include telephone, cable or satellite television, Internet access, and utilities into what you can afford each month.
2. Location, Location – Real estate, is all about location and you want to be in a location that fits you and vice versa. For example, if you were on the young side of the age scale, you probably wouldn’t want to seek out an apartment in a retirement apartment complex. Find complexes that have either a mixture of ages or ones that cater to your age group.
3. Pets – Many apartment shoppers have pets and this can be a hindrance especially if you have a large dog. Most apartment complexes will allow small dogs (usually under 40 pounds) and cats for a monthly fee, but not all of them allow large dogs. If your dog is over 40 pounds only visit apartment complexes that allow large dogs and expect to pay fees no matter what size the pet.
4. Size and Layout – How much room do you think you’ll need and how many bedrooms and baths? If the average one-bedroom apartment is 500-600 square feet and you need more than that, make sure you tell the leasing agent. Consider the type of layout you want. If you have children and need two bedrooms do you want the second bedroom close to you or at the other end of the apartment. How much closet and kitchen cabinet space are important to you?
5. Décor – While most apartments are unfurnished with either off-white or white walls, what if white just isn’t you? If you know you want to paint a room, a wall or any section of the apartment, find out if you can first before you sign a lease.
Please click on Page 2 to read more tips on apartment shopping.