Getting Started with ChevronWP7
In order for you to use this tool you will need the following:
- Your Windows Live username and password.
- PayPal, Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- A Windows Phone.
- Windows Phone SDK.
- The appropriate download tool for your operating system: 32-bit or 64-bit.
Begin by heading to http://labs.chevronwp7.com/ and signing in with your Windows Live account. Once you have done this, you will be able to pay for the service. This is the modest figure of just $9, and is a token required to apply the unlock.
Next, choose the correct unlock tool and download it. You will also require the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 update for Windows in order to install and run the unlock tool.
Before running the installer for the ChevronWP7 tool, you will need to download the Windows Phone SDK. This is a 3 MB file called vm_web2.exe which will download and install software that requires the following minimum system requirements:
- Windows® Vista® (x86 and x64) with Service Pack 2 – all editions except Starter Edition.
- Windows 7 (x86 and x64) – all editions except Starter Edition.
- Installation requires 4 GB of free disk space on the system drive.
- 3 GB RAM.
- Windows Phone Emulator requires a DirectX 10 or above capable graphics card with a WDDM 1.1 driver.
The download for this is around 600 MB, and is required whether you plan on developing yourself or you just prefer to use other people’s apps. The SDK will take a while to install once the download is complete, but once set up you will be able to run the ChevronWP7 application.
From time to time the ChevronWP7 team upgrade the software to overcome any issues that are reported. On these occasions, the purchase option won’t be necessary – you should check their Twitter feed @ChevronWP7 for all the latest updates. If the token is unavailable, take the opportunity to download the appropriate unlock tool.