Upgrade to Android 2.2 Froyo on Samsung Galaxy S
The latest Android 2.2 Froyo ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S is the i9000XXJP2. You can also try the earlier version, the i9000XXJP1 but the newer version is recommended. The procedure to install both of them is almost the same.
Files Required to upgrade your Galaxy S
Odin 3 v1.0
The password for both these RAR archives is samsung-firmwares.com
Download any of these Firmware archives, and extract them on your desktop using WinRAR or 7Zip. Also extract the Odin 3 v1.0 RAR file.
Procedure to install Android 2.2 Froyo on your Galaxy S
1. Remove your SIM and memory card from the Galaxy S and restart it while holding down the Power On, Home, Volume Down buttons together. A download screen should be displayed.
2. Start the Odin application you downloaded earlier. 3. In the PIT box, navigate to s1_odin_20100512.pit and load it.
4. In the PDA box, navigate to I9000XXJP2-REV03-PDA-CL464213.tar in the I9000XXJP2 archive you extracted.
5. In the PHONE box, navigate to MODEM_I9000XXJP2.tar in the I9000XXJP2 archive.
6. Finally, in the CSC box, navigate to GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJP2.tar in the I9000XXJP2 archive.
7. Select the "Re-Partition" box on the left.
8. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S to your PC via the data cable and enable USB Debugging on it (You can do so by going to the Menu, then clicking on System. Select Applications > Development and enable USB Debugging.)
9. Click on the Start button in Odin and wait.
10. Congrats. You have installed Android 2.2 Froyo with the i9000XXJP2 ROM.
The flashing process is a bit risky and may brick your phone. It has worked for many users though, but try it at your own risk.
This method is to be used only for the Samsung Galaxy S, not the Vibrant, Fascinate or any other variant.