- slide 1 of 5
We all know Apple's top gun the iPhone 4, but does BlackBerry have a phone that can rival the iPhone 4? Yes it does, it’s the BlackBerry Torch 9800. Apple led a revolution with its iPhone design, implementing the touch-screen technology successfully for the first time and making a phone that everyone can use and have fun with. BlackBerry has always been a phone for businessmen and people who send a lot of text messages. Almost every BlackBerry model has a QWERTY keyboard that makes typing very easy. That is the biggest advantage of the BlackBerry. But, here are the two phones head to head, iPhone 4 vs. BlackBerry Torch.
- slide 2 of 5
Apple iPhone 4
- Processor and OS: 1 GHz Apple A4 processor running iOS 4.
- Display: TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors, 640 x 960 pixels, 3.5 inches, scratch-resistant surface and multi-touch input method.
- Memory: 16/32 GB storage, 512 MB RAM and doesn’t have memory card slot.
- Connectivity: GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps; EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps; 3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP and USB connection.
- Camera: Primary 5 MP, 2592 x 1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash; Touch focus, geo-tagging; Video with 720p@30fps and a secondary camera with for video calling over Wi-Fi only.
Other features that this phone has are: scratch-resistant glass back panel, active noise cancellation with dedicated microphone, digital compass, Google Maps, audio/video player and editor, voice command/dial, TV-out and GPS with A-GPS support. It also has an accelerometer sensor for auto-rotate, three-axis gyro sensors and a proximity sensor for auto turn-off.
Using the iPhone 4 is a lot of fun. You can download a lot of software and games that, combined with the accelerometer and the three-axis gyro sensor, give you a whole new way of playing games and using software applications. The new multitasking ability that came with the iOS4 upgrade made this phone even more desirable. The main disadvantage of the iPhone 4 is the lack of Flash support which means that when surfing on the Internet you wont be able to see the Flash content on the site that you're browsing, and let's face it, almost every web page today has Flash content, so this is a big disadvantage.
Apple is one of the greatest companies today because it offers new and innovative technologies with great build quality and the iPhone 4 is one of their biggest successes to date.
- slide 3 of 5
BlackBerry Torch 9800
- Processor and OS: 624 MHz processor running BlackBerry OS 6.0.
- Display: TFT touchscreen, 360 x 480 pixels, 3.2 inches.
- Memory: 4 GB storage, 512 MB RAM, 512 MB ROM and a expansion Memory Card slot with up to 32GB.
- Connectivity: GPRS Class 10 (4+1/3+2 slots), 32 - 48 kbps; EDGE Class 10, 236.8 kbps; 3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n; Bluetooth v2.1 with A2DP and Micro USB connection.
- Camera: 5 MP, 2592х1944 pixels, autofocus, LED flash; Geo-tagging, continuous auto-focus, image stabilization; VGA Video recording; No secondary camera.
Other features on this phone are: social feeds, BlackBerry maps, document editor (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF), media player MP3/WMA/eAAC+/FlAC/OGG player, video player MP4/WMV/H.263/H.264, organizer, voice memo/dial and proximity sensor for auto turn-off.
The best things about this BlackBerry phone are the optical track pad and the QWERTY keyboard. The keyboard is hidden behind the display and it slides down revealing a full QWERTY keyboard that makes typing a lot easier than on the iPhone 4. The main disadvantage of the BlackBerry Torch 9800 is the display which has a resolution of only 360 x 480 pixels compared with the iPhone's 640 x 960 pixels resolution which is double the size. The BlackBerry Torch 9800 also doesn't have a secondary camera so you wont be able to make video calls.
- slide 4 of 5
The Conclusion, iPhone or BlackBerry...
The outcome of this battle, iPhone 4 vs. BlackBerry is…. I’m sorry to say, but the BlackBerry Torch 9800 is no match for the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4 has a more powerful processor, larger screen with bigger resolution, multi-touch input method, secondary camera and 720p recording. Also the variety of software available for the iPhone 4 is staggering.
The only advantage of the BlackBerry Torch 9800 over the iPhone 4 is the QWERTY keyboard, as it makes typing a lot easier than on the iPhone 4. But from any other point of view the iPhone 4 is the better phone. So, the winner of this comparison of iPhone vs. BlackBerry is Apple’s latest and greatest, the iPhone 4.
- slide 5 of 5
- All images and information gathered from manufacturers.
- Apple, http://www.apple.com/iphone/
- BlackBerry, http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/blackberrytorch/