Keyboard and General Tips and Tricks for iPhone
These general tips work for all types of iPhone messaging. Most are keyboard shortcuts that will making typing your messages easier.
1. Need to copy and paste? Double tap or press and hold your finger to the text that you want to copy, letting go after a few seconds. Press “Select" and expand the text box until it covers all the text you’d like to copy. Press “Copy". When you are in the spot you’d like to paste the text to, double tap and press “Paste".
2. To quickly delete all text in a message, double tap in the message field and press “Select All". Press “Cut" to delete the selected text.
3. Don’t like the last sentence you typed out? Shake your phone to undo typing. After you shake your iPhone, a popup message will appear asking if you’d like to undo typing. Press the button to remove the last text entered. Don’t worry, you can undo the undo if you decide you want it back. Shake again to redo typing.
4. For text and e-mail messages, you can swipe to delete them. From your inbox, swipe a message from right to left. A red button to delete will appear to the right of the message preview. Press “Delete" to remove the message.
5. Some letters on your keyboard have a shortcut to a specific special character. Tap and hold a letter to reveal special characters.
6. Tap the space bar twice to add a period.
7. Double tap the shift key to turn on caps lock. For this tip to work, you must have enabled caps lock in your settings. To enable this feature go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Enable Caps Lock - Turn ON.
8. Is the auto-correct feature annoying to you? If you are tired of having your word changed when you press the space bar, turn off iPhone’s auto-correct feature. Go to Settings > General > Keyboard > Auto-Correction - Turn OFF.
9. If you like auto-correct but can’t figure out how to keep it from changing a word that it thinks is misspelled (example, slang words), you can dismiss the suggested word by pressing the “x". When you press the space bar your word will not change.
10. To insert fun emoticons in your messages, download an Emoji iPhone app. Then you can insert emoticons from your keyboard. To learn how to do this, read Emoji iPhone App Guide.
11. Need to add a number into your message but don’t want to take the time to switch over to the numbers keyboard? You can quickly add a single number to your message and return to the alphabet keyboard. Press and hold your finger to the numbers button. When the number keyboard appears drag your finger to the number you want entered and let go.
Continue to Page 2 for even more iPhone messaging tips and tricks.