What If RIM Continues with BlackBerry OS?
We see clearly that RIM, a seemingly unbeatable giant in the smartphone market a couple of years ago, especially in the corporate market, will be overtaken by Google’s small child Android soon. This is inevitable.
On the financial side RIM shares have been plunging for one year. The graph shows the September 2009 – August 2010 period and the downward trend is obvious. Even the latest handset BlackBerry Torch, which RIM executives call “The Best BlackBerry Ever" did not change the situation. That is also obvious in the July 2010 – August 2010 period when the hype around the BlackBerry Torch was at the highest and the device hit the market.
This decreasing market capitalization will certainly water the mouths of the big guys. I wonder if RIM’s executives are seeing the big picture that they may be acquired by somebody someday with they're lowering market cap. At this point in time, considering Microsoft’s failed attempt on Kin with a full QWERTY keyboard, their ambition to get a hold on the mobile market with Windows Mobile and the BlackBerry’s position, the most probable takeover attempt will come from Microsoft. Based on Gartner’s data, Microsoft is the 5th in the market with 5% share. Taking RIM over will mean 18% + 5%, a total of 23%, which will position them as the 2nd player in the market.
The situation from my point of view is obvious: RIM is failing and it is failing badly. The executives should sit down and make their plans for the future before something bad happens.
Can I use Android on my BlackBerry? You should. Before it’s too late.