Every site and every readership group is different, and therefore there is no blanket answer for the question of monetizing blogs. It comes down to the nature of your blog, the temperament of your readers, and also your own goals and comfort level. Your blog, no matter what its focus, is your space, and you have your own vision for what you want it to be and stand for. Furthermore, you may not feel comfortable placing ads on your blog for whatever reason, and that sentiment is perfectly reasonable in and of itself. As you consider the idea further, here are some questions to keep in mind to help you make your decision:
- Do I want to make money from my blog?
- What type of advertisements would I use, in-text links, billboards, or pop-ups?
- How will my readership react to the addition of advertisements on the site?
- Will including advertisement compromise my blog’s aesthetics, or can they be included seamlessly?
- Do I feel like advertisements will take away from the purpose of my blog?
- Am I comfortable placing advertisements on my blog?