Nanotechnology Initiatives for Future Benefits
For Developing Sustainable Energy Resources
Nanotechnology has made it possible for scientists to develop renewable energy sources that will not harm the environment any further, as they produce energy with low levels of toxic emission while at the same time affordable to many.
1. Consider the possibility of having inexpensive solar power in the near future by using nanostructured solar cells. The use of the latter has made it possible for manufacturers to produce solar panels into flexible rolls using print-like processing that equates to lower costs and easier installations.
2. Currently, researchers are into developing thin-film solar panels that fits into portable computer cases and mobile electronic devices or be woven into flexible nanowires and attached to garments as a means for generating usable energy, either from natural light, from friction or from one’s own body heat while on the go.
3. Nano-bioengineering researches and development are also currently aimed at enabling enzymes to convert cellulose, wood chips, cornstalks and organic perennial grasses into ethanol fuel.
4. Moreover, researchers are onto the possibility of converting heat wastes into usable energy power as they are generated by computers, vehicles, homes, factories, power plants and the like.
5. Windmill blades are being developed into lightweight nanostructures that are stronger than the ordinary blades with the capacity to increase the amount of electricity generated.
6. Other developments for nanowires are for their utilization in electric grids by adding carbon nanotubes to create lower resistance. This then will result to the reduction of power that is lost while energy is being transmitted to power lines.