Cheap and Clean Alternative Options
It is also possible to not buy a changing table pad altogether and simply use any of the easily available alternatives to change baby’s nappy. A few options include:
1. A cloth diaper can easily double up as a changing mat, especially for smaller babies. Keep one or two extra prefolds at hand and simply slide one under baby’s bottom when you open the diaper.
2. If you’re using a disposable diaper, you can simply slide an opened, clean diaper under baby’s bottom before you open the dirty one. Then, when you finish cleaning baby, all you need to do is lift and wipe bottom one last time, slide out dirty diaper and you have a clean diaper right where you want it.
3. Baby bath towels are also soft, absorbent and big enough to serve as a diaper changing mat. Moreover, since they’re a favorite baby shower gift, chances are you’ll always have an extra one to serve as a diaper mat rather than a towel.
4. Soft baby blankets can also be used to change baby’s diaper. Doubling a blanket will increase absorbency in case of any accidents during a diaper change and the soft fabric will be perfect for baby’s sensitive skin.
5. Crib sheets or a single bed sheet can also be folded and used to lay baby on during diaper changes.
All these options are inexpensive, easily available and make diaper changes just as easy and hygienic as a changing table pad. So, if you’re a new parent who does not want to collect a lot of baby gear or wants to save money on baby products, these alternatives are just what you need. Green parents who just want an eco-friendly diaper mat can, on the other hand, invest in any of the changing table pads offered by companies like Fuzzi Bunz or Naturepedic. These alternatives to changing pads are safe for baby and the environment, making them the best choice for bringing up baby in a gentle world.
Photo Credit: Sellers Patton via http://www.flickr.com/photos/sellerspatton/879097718/