6. Boot Trees – To maintain the shape of damp boots, place rolled up old magazines inside them as they dry. This effort helps the boot dry faster and remain wrinkle free
7. Collage – Give the kids full freedom to shred a magazine to pieces and they will spend hours doing this untidy, but fun activity. What you can also teach them is to make a wonderful collage out of the cut pieces by sticking them on a blank sheet of paper to create a picture. It is a great way to give wings to the creativity of a child and also a wonderful method of using old magazines. Younger kids can also join in by trying to recognize cut out alphabets, animals, vegetables, vehicles, etc.
8. Doll House – Old magazines can be saved for a rainy day literally for this fun craft. Get cardboard sheets and cut slots halfway through the long side of two sheets. These can be joined together to make a plus-like shape. Now tear an attractive looking interior picture of a home from any old magazine or catalogue and glue the pages onto the cardboard walls. You can have kitchen interiors, bedroom, living room, etc. The doll house looks attractive and costs nothing compared to store-bought doll houses.
9. Book Cover – Magazine pages can be used to keep books safe from spillage or tearing especially if they have been borrowed from a friend or a library by covering them with magazines pages. Once you have finished reading the book, just remove the homemade magazine cover and return the untarnished book.
10. Seed Sprouting Pots – when you need a small pot to plant your seeds till they sprout and are shifted to the garden, magazine pages can be modeled into cute little pots using your origami skills. Once the seed germinates, it is easier to tear off the paper pot and sow the young plant into the garden.
As you see the things to make with old magazines, you will realize that there is no limit to what you can create with these unused and forgotten so-called junk lying around your home. And if kids participate in this activity too, apart from teaching them a fun craft, you will also be sowing the seeds of recycling, green living and loving the planet earth into those little hearts.