Typical Installation Costs for Wind Generators at Home
We shall examine the installation costs of two sizes of wind generators; a 6 kW and a 2.5 kW, including their connection to the grid. This will allow excess electricity generated by the turbine to be exported to the grid and while earning money from FITS or Tax Credits.
It has been calculated that the average home consumption of electricity is 4400 kWh/year. A 2.5 kW mast-mounted wind generator can directly match the given favorable wind conditions.
A 6 kW mast-mounted wind generator can produce over 10,000 kWh per year. This will allow for generation of excess electricity that can be sold back to the electricity supplier.
The typical installation costs of wind generators of 2.5 kW and 6 kW are given below, along with the associated planning permission and wind survey costs factored in (where data is available).
UK Installation Outlays
1. Planning Permission Fee - $3200 (£2,000) Some installation companies include this in their costs.
2. Initial Survey - $1290 (£800)
- Some suppliers waive this fee
3. Average installation cost of a 2.5 kW wind turbine
- Proven Energy $17,694 (£11,000)
4. Average installation cost of a 6 kW wind turbine
- Proven Energy - $37000 (£23,000)
A financial savings of $5150 (£3200) per year could be made from savings in electricity supply and Feed in Tariff (FITS) when producing electricity from a 6 kW wind generator.
A saving of about 5 Tons of CO2 emissions to the atmosphere per year can be made by installing either of the home wind generators.
US Installation Outlays
Note: Due to information on capacities from US installation companies, there is a slight discrepancy in comparisons of UK wind generators' capacities, (US 2 kW and 5 kW capacities are examined, hence the difference in costs.)
- Surveys and Planning Permission costs
2. Average installation cost of a 2 kW wind turbine
- Talon 2 from AC Green Energy $17000 (£10500)
3. Average installation cost of a 5 kW wind turbine
- Talon 5 from AC Green Energy $27,000 (£17,000)
Investment tax credit for 30% of installation costs may be available. Some states offer cash payments of 30% of installation costs instead of tax credit.
A savings of about 3.5 Tons of CO2 emissions being released into the atmosphere per year can be made by installing either of the home wind generators.