Ripping the DVD and Putting the File on the PS3
1) Insert the DVD you want to copy and start up handbrake. It should look something like what you see in Figure 1.
2) Although Handbrake has a lot of options and looks a bit overwhelming, the whole process can be accomplished in a few clicks. First, click Source and then the location holding your DVD (typically D: or E:)
3) After Handbrake inventories the disc, you’ll notice the Source information fill in. Click the Browse button and navigate to a location to save your file. Most typical DVDs take 1.5-3GB of space. Click OK.
4) You should be back at the main interface. Under the Presets pane, select PS3. Handbrake should now look something like Figure 2.
5) Click the Start button. A command prompt will open and will give you the status of the task (Figure 3). Note that this process will typically take 1-2 hours depending on your computer.
6) After the process is complete your file should be ready for playback. If you want to play it on your PC, you can use something like VLC player. Grab your USB storage device and copy the file over.
7) Plug the USB storage device into the PS3, turn on the PS3 and go to the Movies section. Highlight the USB storage device and use the Triangle button and select “Display All" – you should now see your movie – you can play it directly from the storage device or copy it.
Now, whenever you're in the mood to see your favorite movie - instead of having to dig through your collection of DVDs, you can sit back, relax and let your fingers do the work.