- slide 1 of 5
Geocaching with DeLormes
DeLorme offers beginner to advanced GPS devices, including handheld devices that you can use for geocaching. DeLorme makes international easier. In addition, the devices are designed to work with one of the largest geocaching websites, Geocaching.com. The company offers a variety of devices specifically for geocaching, including the Earthmate GPS series.
- slide 2 of 5
Downloading a Map
These devices feature a three-axis electronic compass that ensures that you are going in the right direction. It allows you to add notes about the caches on the device yourself, and you can even pull up hints and in-depth details about the cache right from your device. This eliminates printing out the cache details.
Before you can locate the cache, you need to know how to add maps and find locations on your device. While each DeLorme device is slightly different, you can follow the general rules below for performing searches on your device.
To add a map to your device, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Find tab and find the area to where you want to go.
- Go to the NetLink tab, and select Map Library.
- You must now enter either the Map Library validation key or the download certificate.
- Use the Select button to click on the grids on the map. To select more than one grid at once, hold and drag the left mouse button.
- Select Add to List, and give your map selection a name.
- Select Checkout.
- After the map is downloaded, the Exchange dialog box will open up, and you’ll see your map in the Saved Map Packages list.
- Pick the destination to where you would like to add your map.
Unlike finding a traditional location, you need to really pinpoint your cache. As mentioned earlier, the GPS unit will only get you so close to the cache. From there, you need to do a little hunting. The electronic compass on your device will ensure that you are still heading in the general direction of the cache.
- slide 3 of 5
Using a Compass
Unlike finding a traditional location, you really need to pinpoint your cache. As mentioned earlier, the GPS unit will only get you so close to the cache. The electronic compass on your device will ensure that you are still heading in the general direction of the cache.
You do need to calibrate your compass so that it is as accurate as possible. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Compass Page and select Menu.
- Click on Calibrate.
- Press Enter.
- Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- Hit Enter when the unit is calibrated.
You may need to power down and restart the device for calibration to take effect. If it is still not calibrated, select Retry to restart the process.
Once the compass is completely calibrated, use the below directions to enable the compass:
- Go to the Menu from any page that allows you to navigate to this menu.
- Scroll down to Device Setup and hit Enter.
- Select the Compass and Altimeter option and hit Enter.
- Click on Enable Electronic Compass and hit Enter.
- Select Quit to leave the menu.
The compass is now enabled.
- slide 4 of 5
Depending on your model, you may have a Geocaches Page. This page keeps track of all of your geocaching activities. You can also use this page to send geocaching information to your device. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Attach your device to your computer.
- Go to the Connect to Computer page and select Data Exchange.
- Hit Enter.
- Go to Geocaching.com and click on Seek a Cache. This will bring up local caches in your area.
- Click on Send to GPS, which will upload the information to your device.
Keep doing this for all of the caches to that you want to go to.
If you want to add a route to your GPS, first go to the Geocache Detail page, and find the cache that you want to locate. Next, select Drive to Cache or Hike to Cache depending on what you plan on doing. Hit Enter.
To pull up the cache on your device so that you can see the details, you must go to the Geocache Page and click on your selected cache. Hit Enter and then View. Hit Enter again and the details of the cache will appear.
With your DeLorme, international caching is extremely fun and easy. You can find hidden treasures around the world. If you are new to geocaching, always start with a location near your home in case you get lost. Once you get the hang of geocaching, you will love being a modern day pirate.