Not sure how to use your Magellan GPS system? You can wade through the GPS manual. Or, you can use the steps in the Magellan GPS unit how-to guide. It teaches you how to find a location, use your POI database and save your home address.
Using Your Magellan GPS Unit
Magellan’s are extremely capable and popular units. You, however, have to know how to use your system to get the most from it. Magellan GPS manuals can be intimidating as they are multiple pages long, and you have to scan through a lot of information.
Sometimes, you just need to know how to do simple steps like how to find a street address or how to add your home address to the GPS. This Magellan how-to guide will assist you this process.
Navigating to an Address
Generally, your Magellan is already setup. You simply need to input the address that you want to navigate to. To enter your first address, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Main Menu, and select Street Address.
You can choose from three different search options: Search by Zip Code, Search by City or Previous City. If you have gone to a location previously, you can pull up that location with the Previous City option.
- With the Search by Zip Code option, you simply enter the zip code for the location. Then, you select from the list of cities. Type in both the street name and address number.
- With the Search by City option, input the city name. A list of cities will pop up. Select the correct one from the list. Input the street and the address number.
- Pick how you want the Magellan to find the route.
Using the POI Database
Two of the main selling points of the Magellan are its large GPS POI database and how easy it is to use this database. If you are on the road, you often want to find the nearest gas station, restaurant, etc. If that is the case, then you want to find the nearest one. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Main Menu, and select the POI icon.
- Pick the category of the item that you want to find. For example, select restaurants to find the list of the nearest restaurants.
- Select Near, and choose from Address, Current Position or City Center.
- Scroll through the list of available, and select a destination.
- Select the routing option.
You can also find a particular destination based on its name. Simply hit the Spell Name option. You don’t have to input the whole name. For example, if you are looking for Pizza Hut, you can just put in pizza. You will, however, get every other place that has pizza in the name.
If you know that you are going to be getting off a particular exit, use the POI Near Exit, and select the exit where you’ll be leaving the highway or interstate.
Saving Your Home Address
Most people don’t want to input their home address every time that they want to get directions home. Magellan lets you add your home address and store it on your machine. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Main Menu, and select Home.
- Hit Yes to add your home address.
- Pick from one of the following three search methods: Previous City, Search by Zip Code or Search by City.
- Add your home information.
- Press Save.
You can always change your home information if you move. If you ever need to change your information, follow the below steps:
- Go to the Main Screen, and select Home.
- Select Change, and press Yes that you want to change your address.
- Select the method that you want to use to change your home address.
- Add your new home address, and hit save.
You can now navigate to your address at any point in time by following the below steps:
- Navigate to the Main Menu, and select Home.
- Press the Route option, and choose the routing method. Then your Magellan will provide you with step-by-step directions to your home address.
Using the Address Book
Besides your home address, you can also add other destinations to your Address Book. You can do this for future routes or addresses that you commonly go to, including friends and family. To add an address to your Address Book, do the following:
- Go to the Address Book from the Main Menu.
- Select Previous Destinations.
- Scroll the addresses until you find the one that you want, and select it.
- Select Route, and choose the routing method.
The information gleaned from Magellan GPS manuals can help you perform a variety of tasks on your Magellan GPS unit. Keep your manual in a safe location. You’ll need it for more technical tasks. If you do lose it, you can often find copies online, or contact Magellan for a replacement manual.