Using a Different GPS System
Many people who own the Black Storm 2 want to remove the Verizon GPS block. Verizon makes you pay for the VWZ Navigator as your GPS system. With so many free GPS applications on the market, most Verizon customers don’t want to pay for this service.
Unfortunately, there is no hack to get around this service. You either have to pay for the service, or you can invest in a GPS puck for the Storm. You must buy or download another type of navigation application to work with your device, and you also need a Bluetooth. While annoying, this later solution will save you money since the Verizon system is a lot more expensive that most applications.
One advantage of using the Storm 2 is that you can do more with it in terms of GPS than you can with older models like the Curve or Pearl. You may be able to just download a free application to your GPS system. While Verizon doesn’t exactly like this behavior, your BlackBerry doesn’t realize that it’s downloading an illegal application. It just uploads the application to your device like it would any other game or application.
First, find a cheap or free application that works with your GPS system. A good one is the amAze software program, which allows you to download 2D and 3D maps and coordinates for free. You can also search for locations via addresses or keywords.
Once you find a program that you like, download it to your computer. Then, follow the below directions to upload it to your BlackBerry phone:
- Install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, if it’s not already installed on your computer.
- Go to Start and Programs, and open up the BlackBerry folder.
- Go to the Desktop Manager.
- Use a USB cable, and attach the BlackBerry Storm 2 to your computer.
- Input your phone password.
- Open up the Application Loader within the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
- Once the welcome screen comes up, hit Next, and input your password again.
- Hit Next again. You’ll now see the Handheld Application Selection screen. This shows you all the applications that you currently have on your phone.
- Hit the Add button, and find the application that you want to add to your phone.
- Select the file, and hit Open.
- Hit Next and then Finish to upload the application to your phone.
You now have a different GPS application that you can use instead of the Verizon VWZ Navigator program.
Besides GPS applications, you can also other types of third-party applications this way.