Canadians who are interested in getting PhD online in Canada have several options that they can pursue. Depending on their career field, Canadian PhD students can earn their degree through schools such as Capella University, Walden University, and the University of Phoenix.
Benefits of Online PhD Programs
Getting a PhD online in Canada is not difficult in terms of finding available colleges and universities as the Internet enables students to access distance-learning programs from virtually anywhere in the world. When earning a PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) degree online, Canadian students have the opportunity to greatly expand their job qualifications while completing their course assignments on an independent and flexible basis. As is the case with traditional schools of higher learning, most accredited online schools have financial aid and tuition reduction programs available for PhD students. Although the structure of these programs can vary, the requirements for this type of degree generally include a significant amount of research and submission of a dissertation.
Students interested in getting PhD online in Canada have many schools to choose from. The following schools are among those that offer online PhD programs for Canadian residents who specialize in fields such as business, nursing, education, and psychology.
Capella University, accredited through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), offers a range of online PhD programs that are available to students in Canada. These programs involve a mix of core courses, specialization courses, and elective courses as well as three separate residential requirements that last three to four days each. 
Examples of Capella University online PhD programs include:
- School of Business and Technology: Accounting, General Information Technology, Project Management, and Leadership
- School of Human Services: Counseling Studies and General Counselor Education and Supervision
- School of Education: Curriculum and Instruction, Nursing Education, K-12 Studies in Education, and Special Education Leadership
- School of Psychology: General Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, and Educational Psychology
- School of Public Service Leadership: General Human Services, Criminal Justice, Health Care Administration, and Public Safety Leadership
University of Phoenix
The University of Phoenix has accreditation through NCA and has a Canadian campus located in Calgary, Alberta. Students who enroll in an online PhD program must either complete their dissertations within a year of finishing their courses or participate in annual renewal residency sessions until degree requirements are met. 
University of Phoenix offers the following online programs to PhD students in Canada:
- School of Education: Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education Administration
- School of Nursing and Health Care: Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
- School of Psychology: Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Walden University, also accredited through the NCA, offers a varied selection of PhD programs for Canada-based students who wish to earn an online degree. These doctorate programs generally involve the completion of specialized courses through either online or hybrid format; residency periods; and proposals, dissertations, and oral presentations. 
Canadian students who enroll at Walden University can earn a PhD in the following areas:
- Applied Management and Decision Sciences
- Counselor Education and Supervision
- Health Services
- Human Services
- Public Health
- Public Policy and Administration
The experience of getting PhD online in Canada is challenging yet rewarding for dedicated students. Canadians who are successful in earning a PhD degree will have the knowledge and practical background needed to pursue advanced career opportunities.
-  Capella University: http://www.capella.edu/schools_programs/degrees/phd.aspx
-  University of Phoenix: http://www.phoenix.edu/programs/degree-programs.filter.html/f/program_level/doctoral
-  Walden University: http://www.waldenu.edu/Degree-Programs/Doctorate.htm