- slide 1 of 4
Why Earn a Graduate Certificate Online?
An online education is a great alternative for students who cannot or do not want to attend a traditional school or follow a degree program. Students often agree that studying at a distance is flexible and convenient. Distance education (DE) gives people who have busy lives the chance to continue their studies at their own pace.
An online database technology graduate certificate can be earned online through distance education. "A Certificate in Database Technology will open the door for you to enter a field which is in great demand, given ever-changing computer technology and its importance to businesses all over the world." 
- slide 2 of 4
Schools to Consider
Students who are looking for an online graduate certificate in database technology can find available database courses or certificate programs by searching the Internet. While searching, it is helpful to look for schools that have an Information Systems Department or Computer Science Department to find the right course(s) or program(s).
Here are a few schools that offer this certification:
- University of Maryland University College (UMUC): UMUC is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education, Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This certificate in database system technology will focus on relational databases and distributed databases, database administration and database security, data warehousing, and data mining. Program requirements include taking five (3-S.H.) courses and an additional course: Introduction to Graduate Library Research Skills. The total tuition cost for the certificate will be about $9,885.00 for out-of-state residents (excluding book fees).
- Minnesota State University, Mankato: MSUM is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Graduate Certificate in Database Technologies focuses on courses involving database systems management and processing. Students must take only three required courses for a total of ten credits. Once a student is accepted into the program, tuition costs and fees can be discussed with the school. The school's registrar office can provide these details.
- New York University School of Continuing and Professional Studies (NYU-SCPS): The school is accredited by the Middle States Association. Their Graduate Certificate in Information Technologies focuses on managing database technologies. Program requirements include six courses for a total of eighteen credits. Students need to check with the admissions office for tuition and fees since NYU-SCPS offers a Flat-Rate Tuition and Fees for Full-Time Students as well as Per-Credit Tuition and Fees for Part-Time Students.
- Microsoft Certification: Students who may not want to enroll in an online school may be interested in a Microsoft certification: Microsoft Certified Database Administrator. This program focuses on implementing database solutions by using Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or 2005. Interested students can find more details on Microsoft's website.
- Self-Paced Online Courses: Keller Graduate School of Management of DeVry University Online offers a few courses from their master of business administration program with an information systems management concentration that cover database administration and management, database programming and applications, and database applications for electronic commerce. Students interested in taking a few database courses may want to consider Keller.
- MIT OpenCourseWare: There is a free course in Database, Internet, and Systems Integration Technologies (available online at http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/). Course Features: Lecture notes, Assignments (no solutions), Exams and solutions. Download requirements: 10.93 MB.
- slide 3 of 4
Database technology is a computer field for people interested in the design, development and management of computer databases. The following job description, pay, and job outlook for database administrators is quoted from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS):
Database administrators work with database management software and determine ways to store, organize, analyze, use, and present data. [And,] database administrators also must plan and coordinate security measures with network administrators. [The job outlook] of database administrators is expected to grow by 20 percent from 2008 to 2018, much faster than the average. [And, regarding pay,] the median annual wages of database administrators were $69,740 in May 2008. 
Graduate certificates are intended for students who may not wish to pursue a master’s degree but who want advanced knowledge in the field of database technology. This graduate certificate is designed for professionals who have already some expertise in working with databases or other management systems. Having an online database technology graduate certificate will definitely come handy when seeking employment.
- slide 4 of 4
 DiplomaGuide - Database Technology Certificates: Career Info
 BLS (Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010 -11 Edition) - Computer Network, Systems, and Database Administrators
- UMUC: http://www.umuc.edu/grad/gradcertificates/its_dst.cfm
- MSUM: http://cset.mnsu.edu/it/gradCert/
- NYU-SCPS: http://www.scps.nyu.edu/areas-of-study/information-technology/graduate-programs/gc-infotech/