Getting an Online ESL Certification
Proper accreditation is important as it makes the difference in how worthwhile the training towards the certification is. There are, unfortunately, many institutions offering certification without adequate training, so it is important to check their credibility before enrolling for an online ESL certification program. Find out how long an institution has been in business, and what their job placement rate is.
Find out about the duration of the program. Online ESL certification courses, depending on the type, can typically last for four to eight weeks.
Find out if the course is completely online. Some programs include two weeks of onsite training to gain practical teaching experience. In absence of this facility, it will be a good idea to form a peer network and schedule peer-teaching sessions to get the practical experience. Many online programs offer observational videos showing ESL professionals in a classroom setting, but, of course, actual experience is preferable, too.
Find out if the program involves studying on your own or working with a personal tutor. Find out about the amount of work and number of assignments required.
Find out if the program offers assistance with job placement after you receive the certificate.
Visit ESL online forums and websites, and read articles and tips by ESL professionals and students. Two excellent sites are TESOL and Dave's ESL Cafe. The links are provided in sources below.
Here are two online ESL certification programs:
Accrediting Council for Continuing Education and Training
U.S. Department of Education Recognized Agency
- 40-hour Basic Certificate - Introductory course to English Language Teaching - $210
- 60-hour Educator Certificate - Covers the Basics of English Language Teaching - $325
- 100-hour Professional Diploma - TEFL Field Standard - $352.50
- 120-hour Master Diploma - Complete Teacher Certification Course - $446.25
Validated by the Board of Academic Advisors (BOAA)
- Online TESOL courses - TESOL Certification Courses - $190
- Combined TESOL courses - online and residential - TESOL Certification Courses - $1300
- Advanced/Specialized TESOL courses - $250