Knowing the Technology
1. Do I know what a PDF file is? Can I create one? Oftentimes you will need to create a project in PDF file, and will definitely download them.
2. Do I know how to upload a file to my computer? This is how information will be shared from you to the instructor.
3. Do I know how to send an attachment in an email? This sounds simple enough, but as these courses are taken on a computer, one will have to submit work via email attachment.
4. Do I panic when I have a computer glitch or am I patient to work through it? Sometimes people can get flustered when they do not understand why the computer is not functioning properly and panic. Relax, and before you even begin the online course, learn the name, email address and phone number of the technical team on the school's website.
5. Do I know how to research in Google, and in an online library? As online learners do a lot of research, one will need to know how to research quickly and efficiently.
6. Do I know what an interface is? This is the program the college uses. Learning this is essential to success.
7. Do I have a fast Internet connection? Dial up will not support the speed of the discussion forums.
8. Are my computer and printer reliable? This I have seen time and time again. Computers and printers must be reliable, or you really should not join an online course.
9. Do I know what a social network is? Many college professors will require you to use Twitter and/or Facebook as part of the course requirements.