Getting Ready for the Project
Here is a sample outline suitable for high school instruction:
Project Title: Growth and Decline
Summary : Understand how the increase and decrease in population affects the economy and development of a country
Description: The students are going to make a case study on two countries - one whose population is constantly increasing, and one whose population is constantly decreasing. They will then analyze the statistics on the following items: 1) the GNP (Gross National Product); 2) Industries; 3) Unemployment Rate; 4) Public Debt; 5) Exported Products. Then, they have to study the trend and issues associated with the increase or decrease in population, and how those are related to the statistics looked into.
The participants in this study are expected to study and analyze all the items relevant to the topics. They also have to find out about their own country's standing in terms of its economy and population. The goal is to understand how any aspect that takes place in a country affects it in its entirety.
Outcomes: The students may present the product of their study in a PowerPoint presentation (with charts, tables and graphs), blog, video presentation, wiki, or by making a website about their research.
Assessment: The students are assessed based on the following criteria:
1. Depth of research
2. Sufficiency of data gathered
3. Explicitness of analysis
4. Quality of final presentation
PowerPoint, Movie Maker (and other video making software), relevant websites to search in gathering data
Creativity and Ideas:
- Presenting an authentic interview with some nationals of the countries used in the study
- Coming up with an exposition of exported and imported products of each country
- Staging a panel discussion to remedy the economic issues faced by the countries studied
- Creating a website to share with the public the result of the research made