How to Run Disk Check in Windows 7
If you want to run Check Disk or chkdsk in Windows 7 to check a selected hard disk for file system errors and bad sectors here are the steps you need to follow.
1. Click the Start Menu and click the Computer button.
2. When the drives appear, right click the disk drive that you want to examine, and click on Properties.
3. Click on the Tools tab, then click on the Check now button under Error-checking.
The following screen will appear.
You are now ready to begin the disk checking.
At this point you can continue the operation at reboot, or cancel.
Now the next steps are the ones you can perform.
4. To Only Scan the Drive for Errors:
Leave both check boxes empty and click on the Start button.
5. To Only Scan and Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors:
Uncheck the Automatically fix file system errors box.
Check the box that points to: scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
6. If you Only want to Scan and Automatically Attempt to Fix Errors:
First check the Automatically fix file system errors box.
Then uncheck the box that performs a scan for bad sectors and attempts to recover them.
7. If you want to perform the Scan and automatically attempt to Fix Errors and Recover Bad Sectors:
- Check the Automatically fix file system errors box.
Also Check the box to scan for and attempt the recovery of bad sectors.
8. Finally you are ready to start so click on the Start button.
9. Note also that if the selected hard drive is not in operation, then you will see the check disk program start checking the disk now.