Update As On 11/2/2012: Move On To Windows 7
A year later, Windows 7 seems to be the best option if you are still using Windows XP. There are certain reasons that, I believe, will help you if you upgrade to Windows 7 from XP.
1. Microsoft is ending all official support to Windows XP SP3 in June 2014.
2. Windows 7, all versions (standard, N, and E) are now stable, offering a better performance when compared to Windows XP.
3. Using an older operating system will keep your computer open to different kinds of vulnerabilities, in case you think the local technicians will help you even after June 2014.
4. Since Windows 8 is also around the corner, you might want to stay current with the software market. Most software is now being developed for Windows 7. Soon, they will be developing software for Windows 8.
5. If you want maximum experience out of your 64 bit applications, they will perform better on Windows 7 than on Windows XP.
You might ask why not wait a year and upgrade directly to Windows 8? If you've got only a computer and two for personal use, maybe you can do that. Because, if you find applications not working on Windows 8, you can always rollback to Windows XP that you were using (assuming it is still safe to use XP)
If you are running a network with plenty of computers, you will need time to help your employees or other type of computer users to learn Windows 7. You will also need time to migrate your applications and database to Windows 7. You cannot afford to take risk in this case. If you wait and then migrate from Windows XP to Windows 8 directly, you may find yourself unable to install your applications on the latter. That would be a waste of time and money. I say this because, Windows 8 would also need some time before it is "marked" trusted. You won't have to upgrade your hardware again as Microsoft has made it clear that Windows 8 will run on any machine that runs Windows 7.
It is your call, will you wait until your operating system is obsolete or will you move ahead and forget Windows XP?
Please let me know your views in the comments section below.