Registry Tweaks to Increase Windows Startup Speed
NOTE: Before making any changes to the registry, create a system restore point so that you can rollback in case something goes wrong.
Before you go ahead with registry tweak to increase Windows Startup speed, you need to open the Windows registry.
1 Click on Start menu and select RUN. Type "Regedit" without the quotes and hit Enter.
2. You get the Windows registry editor. You can see five keys to the left. We need to work on only HKEY_CURRENT_USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
3. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Changes made here, will be applicable for all users.
4. Expand the Software key, look for Microsoft. Expand Microsoft and look for Windows.
5. Once you get the Windows key, expand it and look for CurrentSession.
6. Under CurrentSession, look for the key named Run.
7. This key lists all the startup programs in the right pane of the Registry Editor Window. Check the programs using the path shown under the Location key. Right-click item under Name column and select Delete to remove the program you do not need.
8. To add a program to the list, right-click anywhere in the right pane and select NEW -> String. Give the string a name and enter the full path to the application that you wish to run.
Once you are done with the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, you can set your own startup programs from HKEY_CURRENT_USER: using steps 4 through 8.