For Windows XP users:
1. Click the Start Button.
2. Point to All Programs.
3. Click Windows Update. Note: If updates for other Microsoft Products are enabled, this item may appear as Microsoft Update. Windows will load a special webpage that will assist in the updating process. The version check will occur first to make sure you have the latest available components for the update tool; after which you will be prompted to choose your update type.
4. If you are only installing high-priority updates, choose the Express option. If you also wish to install driver updates and program feature additions, choose the Custom option. Windows will check for available updates and report with the results. If you selected the express option, skip to step 6. Note: if you haven't yet installed the Genuine Advantage product key validator (you know, to ensure you're legitimately using Windows) you will be prompted with an additional component installation step. If so, install the components and repeat this step upon completion.
5. If you chose the custom option, you will be presented with a screen containing choices for installing additional updates. Select each update category (High Priority, Software and/or Hardware -- the latter two have the word optional appended in parenthesis) and select the updates you wish to install. (You can also choose updates by installed Microsoft products if using Microsoft Update.) When you're done, click Review and install updates.
6. Click Install updates to begin the installation process. You may be asked to accept some user agreements; if so, read the information and respond accordingly.
7. After updates are installed, you may be asked to restart the computer. If so, click Restart now.