After you’ve decided you have an available slot and purchased a new adapter, read the instructions for installing it. Installing a new display adapter generally consists of a few distinct steps:
1. Turn off the computer and unplug it.
2. Open the case and touch the chassis to ground yourself appropriately.
3. Remove the cover that corresponds to the open slot on the back on the computer case, usually held with a single screw.
4. Remove the display adapter from the protective packaging, being careful to touch only the edges.
5. Insert the new adapter into the PCI or AGP slot and use the screw you removed in step 3 to secure it.
6. Close the case, plug in the computer, and power it on.
7. Install any required software.
8. Turn off the computer, plug in the second monitor, and turn the computer back on. Configure the display settings as detailed in the next section.