- slide 1 of 3
You might know how to change font or alter the justification of text, but how much do you really know about Microsoft Word?
This quiz is intended to help you find out. It offers a selection of 25 questions about the latest versions of Word, and should be used by you as a means of establishing any holes in your knowledge of the popular word processing application.
If you're not an expert by the time you get to the end of the quiz, you soon will be!
- slide 2 of 3
Are You a Word Expert?
- slide 3 of 3
All Quiz Questions
1. If you wished to paste text from another document or web page but wanted to strip the formatting, which option would you choose from the Paste menu on the Word clipboard?
Keep source formatting
Keep text only
Answer: Selecting Keep text only would strip any formatting.
More facts: there is another way to automatically strip formatting when pasting in word, as you will see…
2. What is the best way of checking how a new font will look?
View the font in the drop-down menu
Google the font
Select some text, and preview it via the drop-down menu
Answer: if you select some text, and preview it via the drop-down menu, you can see how it would look by hovering the mouse pointer over each possible alternative.
More facts: the fonts menu is split into theme fonts, associated with your chosen overall theme, and all fonts.
3. How do you toggle the paragraph symbol?
Answer: CTRL+SHIFT+8 (there is also a toolbar button)
More facts: the button can be used to display various line and section breaks.
4. What is the quickest way of formatting a document?
Applying preset styles manually and adjusting them as you go
Applying formatting manually
Answer: Creating custom styles that can be applied instantly
More facts: using the Styles menu you can copy the formatting of a word or phrase and reuse it throughout the document. This is particularly useful for scripts or other documents with repeated text with specific formatting.
5. What is the quickest way to change a consistent typing error throughout a document?
Press F7 and use the spelling and grammar check
Scroll through the document and make the change manually
Use the Find and Replace tool
Answer: Find and Replace is by far the quickest option.
More facts: Find and Replace can be invoked using CTRL+H.
6. What is the best way of starting a new page?
Inserting a page break
Pressing Enter repeatedly until you reach the end of the page
Right-click and select new page
Answer: inserting a page break will take you to the top of a new page
More facts: CTRL+Enter will insert a page break. This is preferable to repeatedly tapping Enter as if you add text above this section, the formatting of the document will be affected; it can also cause issues printing the document correctly.
7. Which of the following menu items IS available in Word:
Insert > Video
Insert > Audio
Answer: screenshots can be captured in Microsoft Word
More facts: any of your currently open application windows can be captured and pasted into the current Word document.
8. What is the purpose of a bookmark?
The bookmark remembers the page you were writing last time
To enable you to jump to that page from a hyperlink
Bookmarks allow you to send content from your document via email
Answer: using hyperlinks you can quickly reach a bookmarked page within the document.
9. Where can an automatic page number not be inserted in Word?
In the header & footer
In the margins
None of the above
Answer: page numbers can be inserted anywhere in a Word document.
More facts: the page number format can also be changed using the Insert > Page Number > Format Page Numbers option.
10. What is the quickest way of inserting regularly used text and phrases?
Copy and paste
Type from scratch
Use Quick Parts > AutoText
Answer: with Quick Parts > AutoText you can quickly insert regular phrases such as your company name.
More facts: AutoText can be captured by selecting the required text and using Insert > Quick Parts > AutoText > Save Select to AutoText Gallery.
11. What is the best way to add the copyright symbol © into a Word document?
Insert > Symbol
Copy and paste from another document
Just type a “c” and draw a circle around it when printed.
Answer: Insert > Symbol will allow you to add the © symbol.
More facts: the quickest way is probably CTRL+ALT+C, but this depends on user preference for shortcuts.
12. Orientation affects what in a Word document?
The position of the keyboard
Answer: the Orientation function alters the page to either portrait or landscape position.
More facts: altering the orientation of your page can greatly affect the impact of the document.
13. What is the benefit of a watermark?
To display ownership or document status in every page
A watermark allows you to print money
It’s of no benefit and any wet paper should be discarded
Answer: a watermark can be added to display ownership or declare a document as being a draft
More facts: watermarks can also be used for stylistic reasons, such as to drop an image into the background.
14. What is the best way to convert a Word document into a PDF?
Use Adobe Standard
Install a PDF printer driver
Use File > Save as
Answer: as of Word 2010, you can use File > Save as.
More facts: if you own Word 2007, Microsoft offers a download to add this functionality. Otherwise you will need to use a low cost PDF printer driver or the expensive Adobe Standard.
15. A Table of Contents will improve a longer Microsoft Word document. What formatting do you need to do within the document to enable an automatic Table of Contents to be created?
Insert hyperlinks and bookmarks
Answer: headings must be formatted using the Styles menu for Heading 1, Heading 2, Heading 3, etc.
More facts: when new content is added to your document, the Update Table button will reflect the change in the Table of Contents.
16. What are the benefits of footnotes?
They can be used to add thoughts.
Footnotes are useful for taking up space or increasing word count.
Footnotes don’t really do much.
Answer: footnotes can be used to add related thoughts to the text.
More facts: footnotes are good for providing or extra information that may not be directly relevant to the main text.
17. Similar to footnotes are citations. How are citations different to footnotes?
Citations don’t have any relation to the text
Citations can be in a different language
Citations are used to list references
Answer: references can be listed by adding citations to a document.
More facts: using the placeholder, the same source can be cited again and again.
18. How would you add a caption to an image that has been inserted in the document?
Create a text box around or below the image
Type a new paragraph below the image
Use the Insert Caption function.
Answer: the Insert Caption function produces the best results.
More facts: this command is available via References > Insert Caption.
19. What does the AutoCorrect tool NOT do?
Correct accidental use of caps lock
Fix accidental capitalization of the second character
Reformats your document so that it looks great
Answer: AutoCorrect cannot reformat your document.
More facts: the AutoCorrect tool is available via File > Options > Proofing.
20. Along with a grammar and spellchecker, Word is equipped with a Thesaurus that can be invoked to find synonyms and antonyms of the selected word. This function is invoked via which command?
Answer: the thesaurus is called by pressing SHIFT+F7.
More facts: F12 on its own is a shortcut to Save as.
21. Where will you find the word count in Word 2007 and later?
In the Tool Bar
In the document window border
In the Status Bar
Answer: the word count can be found in the Status Bar.
More facts: clicking the word count will display full details of words, characters, pages and more.
22. If you plan to do a lot of copying and pasting from other files into your current document, what is the easiest way to lose the formatting?
Strip the formatting by first pasting into a raw text editor
Use the Keep text only option in the Paste menu
Configure the relevant settings in the Options menu
Answer: save time by configuring the relevant settings.
More facts: go to Options > Advanced > Cut, copy and paste to select your preferred behaviour for text in the clipboard. Setting this up will save time if you are copying and pasting in bulk.
23. How can I add a comment to my word document?
Insert > Comment
Review > New Comment
Answer: use the Review > New Comment function.
More facts: with comments you can offer suggestions to the author or leave notes to yourself.
24. Full screen view is available in Word via which function?
The standard Windows Maximize button
There is no Full screen view
Toggle Full Screen View
Answer: the Toggle Full Screen View option will display Word in full screen mode with no menus, just a page and some text.
More facts: this function can be found via More Commands in the Quick Access Toolbar.
25. You use Word to write a blog post. Where is this function located?
File > Save & Send > Publish as Blog Post
File > Print > Upload Blog Post
View > Blog Post
Answer: File > Save & Send > Publish as Blog Post will open the options for uploading your document to your blog.
More facts: WordPress and TypePad are both among the supported blog types.
- Author's own experience.