Setting Up Messenger
1. When you start Messenger for the first time, you will need to sign in with a Windows Live ID. If you don't already have one, simply click the link at the bottom of the window to sign up. Otherwise, type in your email and password, then click Sign In.
2. You will then be prompted to choose a picture for your Messenger account. If you have a webcam plugged in at this time you may get the option to take a picture right now, but you can also choose to browse the pictures on your computer and add one of those. This picture will be seen by all people that you connect with via your Windows Live Messenger account. If you don't want to add a picture at this time then simply click Skip.
3. Now you can choose whether or not you want to connect your Messenger account to your social network accounts. At this time, you have the option of connecting with Facebook, MySpace and LinkedIn. Simply click on the one you want to use and follow the authentication prompts for each.
4. The next step is adding your mobile phone number. This gives you access to text messaging features and can even help with things like password resets. It will also appear on your Messenger profile, but you can choose to hide this later or simply bypass this option altogether by clicking Skip.
5. Finally, select your desired privacy settings from the options provided and click Close. Messenger will now restart and be ready to use.