PeerGuardian offers the following set of features:
· Customization – PeerGuardian is heavily customizable, for example letting the user decide which lists they wish to block.
· Automatic updates – Although it is a simple task to keep the application regularly updated, automatic updates take even that small task away. The user can set the frequency at which the application will check and install, if any, updates to the software.
· Create Lists – It is possible for the user to create a custom list of blocked IPs, and further group them according to their own preferences in the form of lists.
· Low memory usage – Initially memory was one of the biggest flaws of PeerGuardian, however, the developers have been so effective at taking away this issue that it has become one of PeerGuardian 2’s most outstanding feature.
· Maintenance of logs – Each blocked IP goes into a master log where the user can later access that information.
· Allow certain blocked sites for specific time intervals – in case a user needs to visit a blocked IP for a while, rather than shut down the entire protection system, they can unblock the IP for a specified duration, after which it will be automatically blocked once more. This avoids the probability of allowing infection to seep through other sources.