Comodo Internet Security is a unique combination of a firewall and an antivirus program, all bundled into one neat package. This essentially means that a user can control both these functions from a single control panel, instead of managing multiple applications.
• Firewall – A firewall is the first line of defence on a system. It prevents hackers from accessing data stored on a user’s machine and prevents data escaping from the machine without the users' knowledge. A firewall is more necessary now than ever, considering that mostly every computer and laptop is networked in some way or another. The Comodo firewall can be custom configured by the user, and without much jargon, it manages to be quite in-depth. A user can configure ports, allow certain applications to pass through and even create stealth ports, so unauthorized port listening becomes useless. These are all fairly advanced firewall features, which usually are not available with free products. Comodo's offering certainly meets the two most important criteria for a firewall: it's exceptionally easy to use and it's extremely effective (see Lee Clemmer's article What You Need To Know About Firewall Leak Tests for some details about how the Comodo Firewall stands up to leak tests).
• Antivirus – The antivirus control panel has all the expected features, like scheduled scans and quarantined items. A nice sub-feature is the ability to create multiple scan profiles, specifying which areas of the computer need to be scanned.
• Defense+ - Defense+ is an excellent feature, one not encountered in many antivirus programs. There is an additional line of security erected in front of certain user-specified files and folders which disallows access and modification entirely. A user can specify which software vendors are completely trustworthy, protect certain registry keys from modification and additionally view the current active processes on the computer. This rather phenomenal feature is merely the basic version of Defense+; the advanced user can manipulate even more settings and can therefore leverage maximum control over the computer’s security.
Although Comodo Internet Security is free, there is of course the extended Pro version with more power-packed security features. For instance:
• TrustConnect – TrustConnect offers protection from Internet threats regardless of where the computer is being used or how the computer is connected.
• Hands-on Support – Apart from the usual 24x7 product support, there are other services like remote virus removal, remote installation and PC tune-ups for a sluggish machine.